We’re enormously proud of all our high school athletes whose (short) season ended on Saturday. Since February our athletes have shown their skills and commitment, and did their high school teams and their club proud.
There is a lot of encouraging enthusiasm among our athletes to keep playing. So let’s! The summer is (basically) here when it comes to water polo and the schedule is absolutely packed with competition. We improve when we compete, so we expect to participate in the tournaments listed below.
That and some very exciting additions to our programming coming up.
TAGS Middle School Championships
The schedule is complete and available online for TAGS Water Polo Championships this weekend. Check our events page and scroll down for the event. The schedule is attached as a pdf.
High School Season Wrap Up
On Sunday the 2019 high school water polo season ended at the TISCA State Championship. Over a dozen collegiate coaches from all over the country were in attendance, the most ever for a TX high school championship and a great sign for our young athletes interested in playing varsity polo in college.
A note to our high school age athletes and their families: we loved and are proud that we helped train athletes from several local high schools, like Round Rock, Cedar Park, Westwood, McNeil, and Vista Ridge. There’s no reason to wait until 2020 to play more water polo. Our summer tournament agenda is listed below and presents tons of opportunities for us to improve. The aim is to attend as many out of town tournaments as possible, field teams of all ages for Junior Olympics (mainly with Longhorn), and continue to prepare our athletes for the highest levels of Texas polo.
We’ve made a lot of progress, but there’s more to be done. AquaTex is committed to seeing Round Rock/Austin-area water polo competing at the highest level possible.
Welcome To Texas Shootout Roster Call
Our first high school-age and younger club event will be the Welcome to Texas Shootout taking place in San Antonio May 25-26. This tournament will be a “mini JOs” with teams flying in from around the country to compete. AquaTex/Longhorn is looking to compete in ALL the following divisions. So sign up as soon as possible, and/or let Coach James know.
- 12U Coed
- 14U Boys
- 16U Girls
- 16U Boys
- 18U Girls
- 18U Boys
Upcoming Tournament Schedule
These will be updated on the TeamUnify site if they have not been recently. Sign up as soon as possible.
- May 25-27: Welcome to Texas Shootout (Northside ISD Swim Center, San Antonio, TX )
- June 7-9: Southwest NJO Quals (14u, 12u, 10u – Pearland Natatorium, Pearland, TX)
- June 14-16: Southwest NJO Quals (18u, 16u – hosted by CFWPC)
- June 22-23: Dallas Summer Classic (Southlake, TX)
- July 6-7: Southside’s Sun’s Out, Guns Out (Pearland Natatorium, Pearland, TX)
- July 20-23: USAWP NJO’s Boys (Orange County, CA)
- July 25-28: USAWP NJO’s Girls (Orange County, CA)
We are pleased to be partnering with a local YMCA to begin Splashball programming for kids age 5-11 this summer. We’ll share all the details when we get them from the Y but keep it in mind for your kids, friends, family, neighbors, etc.
With prodding from Coach Matt we’re going to begin hosting masters water polo at Micki. Details are forthcoming but here’s the outline:
- Practices will run from 8:30 to 10:00 PM Monday and Wednesday. Saturdays may be added depending on pool space and time.
- We already have a solid base of masters players in our area, but the practices are also meant to provide higher-level training to our high school athletes. They’ll be invited to stay and scrimmage after the youth practice has ended.
- As with any other AquaTex Waterpolo player, athletes are required to join USA Water Polo. Monthly fees are to be determined.
We’re returning to Micki on Wednesday, May 1! Hopefully it will be fully heated by then…
See you on the deck,