2022 Welcome to Texas Shootout
Notes from AquaTex
All the teams entered in this tournament will play as AquaTex. Coach Tom from Longhorn will be busy welcoming a new child to the family so we’ve stepped up to take on the organizing role. I (Coach James) will also not be there while I celebrate my daughter’s graduation all weekend. Obviously you will recognize lots of Longhorn athletes and coaches on our rosters as usual.
We have some newcomers to the club and to USA Water Polo tournament competition so please take note:
- Wear your AquaTex gear before, during, and after games. A competition suit and one tee shirt are required for each athlete. If you haven’t ordered already please do (it’s unlikely to arrive prior to WTTS but is still required).
- Athletes, meet with your coach (listed in the table above) one hour before game time. Be ready to warm up. Please do not be late!
- The facility is outdoors though there is lots of shaded seating for spectators. Be prepared. Also note that referees will make athletes wipe off excess sunscreen so don’t go too nuts.
- All travel arrangements are made by individual families, not the club. We’ve had great communications among parents in the past about blocking hotels, etc. Feel free to use the GroupMe to share info. Danny Dixon has been very active in the past in finding hotel blocks so you may want to ping him. There are tons of hotels close to Northside ISD. Same with team meals, etc.
- Be SURE to look at the rosters above. Many of your athletes are expected to play on multiple teams (16u and 18u for example). Once the schedule is published your athlete is expected to be on time to each game for each relevant roster. If there is ever a game-time conflict between two rosters then the athlete is expected to play for the younger team during that time, but consult with your coach to be sure.
- A current headshot, like on a passport, is required for every member of USA Water Polo and referees check for photos at every tournament. Please be sure to update that today if you haven’t already.
From the Host
USA Water Polo is working with San Antonio Sports/Northside ISD to make this a premier event for all clubs/teams. There will be teams coming in from across the country and throughout the state/zone. Northside ISD Swim Center is a world class, outdoor-indoor venue with up to five all deep courses plus stadium seating for the 50 meter pool (NISD Swim Center Website). The Welcome to Texas Shootout will have games from 7:30 am – 8:00 pm on both Saturday, May 28th and Sunday, September May 29th. We suggest coaches/athletes/parents plan on coming in on Friday and staying overnight on Sunday evening. We suggest getting hotel rooms ASAP…you can always cancel later. Tournament Hotel Information.
San Antonio is a great place to visit in Texas. For the parents/families, there are plenty of outdoor activities, amusement parks, restaurants, food trucks, BBQ joints, breweries, etc. to visit and enjoy. For the athletes/teams, there will be opportunities to visit area activities such as Six Flags – Fiesta Texas, Sea World, the Alamo, the Riverwalk, etc. All teams will receive discounts for area restaurants and attractions (including Six Flags and Sea World). We hope all the Southwest Zone clubs will be entering and supporting this event throughout the various age groups/divisions.
Welcome to Texas Shootout – 2022:
- Dates: Saturday, May 28, 2022 – Sunday, May 29, 2022
- Location: Northside ISD Swim Center, 8400 N Loop 1604 W, San Antonio, Texas 78249.
- Divisions: 18U Boys, 18U Girls, 16U Boys, 16U Girls, 14U Boys, 14U Girls, 12U Mixed, 10U Mixed
- Hotel Information
- Registration Deadline: Friday, May 20, 2022, 9pm (PT).
- Roster Deadline: Sunday, May 22, 2022, 9pm (PT)
- Schedule: The tournament schedule will be emailed to everyone on Monday, May 23rd
- Admissions: $15 Day Pass, $25 Weekend Pass (includes parking). Tickets are available online only at the NISD Swim Center Website. Children 5 & Younger will not be charged admission, but you still need to get a pass for them through the website.
- Format: All games will be 6:00 minute quarters using USA Water Polo rules. There will be two minutes between periods, two timeouts per game, and games tied after four quarters will do a shoot-out. Team listed first, wears white caps/starts to the left of the table.
- Tournament & USAWP Apparel Sales Table: There will be tournament specific apparel and USA Water Polo Apparel on sale inside the entrance of the NISD Swim Center.
- USAWP Bronze Level Membership or higher
- COVID-19 Waiver required
- Age as of: 8/1/2022
- No club affiliation rule
- Photo ID check prior to every game
- NEW 10U & 12U Rules Modifications will be used!