USA Water Polo National Junior Olympics Session 1
Session 1 for boys: 18UB, 16UB, 14UB, 12UB
Southwest Zone Championships are required for any athlete interested in playing at National Junior Olympics (simplified to “JOs”).
- June 11-13, Southwest Zone Junior Olympics Qualifiers, TBD, TX
- July 17-20, National Junior Olympics Session 1 (boys), Irvine, CA
- July 22-25, National Junior Olympics Session 2 (girls), Irvine, CA
Longhorn and AQTX have begun accounting for all the athletes who are eligible for which teams this summer at JOs. And the news is good. Based on the total number of our players, plus some estimates regarding who is interested in going, we are aiming to field the following teams at JOs and SWZ Quals. The numbers take into account the ages of our athletes as of 8/1/2021. We can enter multiple teams per age group if the numbers of athletes are sufficient. Athletes CAN play up with older age groups as long as they are listed on all relevant team rosters.
|Age & Gender||# Eligible (est.)||Likelihood of Entering||Likely Team Lead||Notes|
|10u coed||5||Low but increasing||LH|
|12u girls||3||Low||LH||Possibly 12u coed?|
|14u boys||17||Very high||AQTX||Includes some 12u athletes|
|16u girls||7||Medium||LH||Includes 14u girls|
|16u boys||12||Very high||AQTX||Does not include 14u athletes who could play|
|18u girls||18||Very high||LH||Number does not include several 16u athletes|
|18u boys||17||Very high||LH||Number does not include several 16u athletes|
Most dates for the following are still forthcoming.
|TBD||Commitment Deadline: Athletes/parents will need to register online for the event|
|TBD||USA Water Polo registration, club affiliations, and age verification deadline|
|Wednesday, May 26 (est.)||Commitment deadline for the Southwest Zone Champs (NJO Qualifier)|
|Fri-Sun, June 11-13||Southwest Zone Champs (NJO Qualifier). Location TBD. Boys and girls all age groups.|
|Monday, June 28 (est.)||Deadline to email flight information for athletes/parents|
|Saturday, July 3 (est.)||Final payment due for NJO’s trip costs|
|Saturday, July 10 (est.)||Final rosters, schedules, detailed itinerary, etc. will be emailed|
Some Answers to Possible Questions
- Athletes must compete at Southwest Zone Championships on June 11-13 to be eligible to play at JOs in July.
- USA Water Polo’s Olympic Development Program (ODP) has no connection with Junior Olympic competition. There is no requirement to participate in one in order to compete in the other.
- USA Water Polo allocates limited numbers of spots for each Zone to compete at JOs. The number of teams per age/gender category are yet to be published but based on past experiences we are confident that at least one of each of our teams will qualify.
- Athletes will need to be Gold members of USA Water Polo prior to Southwest Zone Championships.
- Athletes are required to be affiliated with the club for which they are competing. We will provide a deadline for families to make necessary changes depending on which club will be the “lead” for each team.
- AQTX and Longhorn will not be making travel arrangements for participating families, including ground transportation in California. It’s expected that athletes lodge somewhere reasonably close to where we will be competing in Orange County.
- Costs per athlete will cover coaches’ travel and time, tournament entry fees, and miscellaneous costs associated with participating. Amount and method of payment TBD.
- Athletes will likely be required to have team gear (suit, shirt) for the trip (check out our online store!)